Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Plant-Based Guidelines

I have struggled with my weight my whole adult life.  I have insulin resistance and polycystic ovarian syndrome which lead to pretty significant weight gain.  I have tried numerous diets and, in fact, found that if I wasn't on a diet (any kind of diet), I was gaining weight.

Then a few years ago, I participated in a study eating a plant-based diet.  I thought I would never be able to give up meat and cheese, but was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to adjust to.  My weight loss was slow, but over the course of a year, I lost 30 pounds.  The great thing about this is that it's a lifestyle now and I haven't struggled with my weight at all.  I eat mostly plants and plant protein, but I allow myself one serving of animal protein each week and, while I still eat cheese, I use it as a garnish.  So, as an example, rather than making cheese enchiladas, I make vegetable enchiladas with a bit of cheese sprinkled on top.

 

See my story on YouTube.


 

The guidelines below were what I followed when I participated in the study.  I eat pretty much the same way now (two years later), including one serving of meat each week, with the addition of a sprinkling of cheese here and there.

As with any new diet, you should check with your doctor first.  I've included some resources below the chart about the benefits of a plant-based diet and some sites with delicious plant-based recipes.

Research and Resources for Plant-Based Eating:

5 Benefits of a Plant-Based Diet

9 Scientific Benefits of a Plant-Based Diet

See the plant-based recipes at the Oh She Glows blog.

Plant-Based Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS