Sunday, September 21, 2014

Travel Notebook (Short Trip Part 1)

This is the first post and YouTube video (see the video linked below) in a short travel series.  I went to my niece's wedding in New York and, even though it is not an actual vacation, I traveled there from Arizona, so it involved some planning.

I always begin by making a travel notebook that has different things in it to keep the trip organized.  I used a presentation book from Staples that has a place to slip in a cover page and then is filled with plastic sleeves.  I inserted a cover page with a little clip art.

The first page has some to-do lists--things to do a month ahead, a week ahead, etc.

Next, I have a few pages of things I want to pack.  The first one has a basic list of toiletries that I save in a file and adapt it for each trip, but the basics (like makeup, underwear, socks, pajamas, etc.) are on this list, followed by another page of mostly blank lines.  That way, I can type in outfits I know I want to bring, followed by lines for writing in other clothes I want to bring as I think of them.  For this trip, I typed in the outfits I knew I would bring for the rehearsal dinner and wedding and the other lines I filled in later.


Then, I have a sleeve where I insert boarding passes.  For a cruise or overseas trip, I insert another place for keeping passports.  The next page, for this trip, is where I kept my flight itinerary.

The next several sleeves have confirmation paperwork for hotels and our rental car.

Then I had a page where I attached the wedding invitation and information about the reception.

The last page is where I include an overall itinerary for our trip activities.  I list each day of the trip and what we will be doing.  I keep this in the back so I can flip to it easily.

This notebook has far more information in it when I'm going on a regular vacation or cruise as those tend to have more activities and events, requiring different changes of clothes and gear.  I find this to be a great way to organize and plan the trip and then keep everything together in the order I need it, so I have it altogether in one place.

Be sure to check out my post and video next week (Part 2), where I will show what I put in my carry-on bag (that will go in the overhead bin on the plane) and the following week, where I will post Part 3 about my "Comfort Carry-On Bag" showing the things I pack in the bag that will go under the seat on the plane.



I link up at the following:
My Flagstaff Home, Inspire Me Monday, Huckleberry Love, Mix it Up Monday, Creative Monday, Inspiration Monday, AmazeMe Monday, Something to Talk About, Art of Homemaking, What’d You Do ThisWeekend?, Make it Pretty Monday, You’re Gonna Love It Tuesday, Tuesdays with aTwist, Tuesday Garden Party, Linda's Lunacy, Tuesdays at Our Home, Hope Studios, Let’s BeFriends, Tickle My Tastebuds, Wakeup Wednesday, Simple Link Party, Moonlightand Mason Jars, Creativity Unleashed, Share Your Style, Creative Inspirations, Our Simple Homestead, Homemaking Weekend Link Party, Creative Princess, Homeand Garden Thursday, Thursday Favorite Things, Grace at Home, Idea Box, Creative Exchange, From the Farm, Clearwater Farm, Farmgirl Friday, Simple & Sweet Friday, FriendshipFriday, Weekend Blog Hop, Fabulous Friday, Friday’s Five Features, What to DoWeekend, Friday Features, Link Your Stuff, Paula’s No Rules Weekend, Weekend(No Rules) Blog Hop, Bouquet of Talent, Follow Who?, Saturday Sparks, PinkSaturday, What’s on the List?, Funky Junk, Silver Pennies, DIY Showoff, SundayFeatures, Chain Linky Climb, Great Blog Train, Themed Blog & Shop Hop,  Share Your Creativity, Wordless Wednesday, #WhimsyWednesdays, Dream, Create, Inspire, LinkBig Frugal Family, A Spirit of Simplicity, Faithful at Home FridaysIvy and Elephants, Pin Worthy Wednesday, Homemade Link Party, Snickerdoodle Sunday, Monday Makeup Madness, #Whimsy Wednesday, Feature Fridays

11 comments:

  1. I love every type of organization. Can't wait to see what goes in your carry on bags! Stopping by from the Let's Be Friends link up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very organised, I think its a lovely notebook to have and keep too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...organized central!! Go you missus and thanks so much for linking up with the #MMWBH x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic idea! Definitely very organised and more so than I ever could be - but you have certainly given me ideas for my next trip!

    Sim @ Simslife.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I'm stopping by from the blog train link up. This is a great idea! I think the boyfriend & I {mainly myself} will make us a book. We are taking our 2nd weekend trip in 2 weeks & I'm so excited! It's nice to meet ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea - I recently went on a trip with family and another family member had done much of the planning. She was SO organized, and it really helped us enjoy the trip and make the most of our short time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, Steph. I do this for every trip now and it is actually part of the fun and anticipation leading up to the trip.

      Delete
  7. very interesting I believe that we should make one of those would keep us more organized for sure
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! Thanks for sharing with the Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this at my last Fabulous Friday party! its a a really good idea! I travel and this would come in handy. Maria

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS