Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Learning How to Knit Online!

I learned to do basic knitting when I was a kid.  I could knit a long strip, that's it.  So, over the years I would knit a scarf from time to time.  Nothing fancy.  Just a strip of knitting.  Anytime I looked at a knitting pattern, I was so confused by the foreign language of instructions that I walked away discouraged.

Last year a friend offered to teach me how to make slippers, so I thought, "Why not?"  It was difficult, confusing, and I thought I would never catch on.

(The project was a little too hard for an almost beginner.)  I did finish the slippers, but wanted to become more proficient at knitting, so I went looking online for advanced beginner patterns and stumbled upon VeryPink.com.  Stacy at Very Pink Knits has patterns (many of them free), accompanied by video tutorials.  So, I picked out a pattern for an Enterlac Scarf, got my needles and yarn and sat down with Stacy.  It was not a piece of cake.  I ended up ripping parts of it out a few times, but in the end, I made myself a beautiful scarf!!!  And I learned to do it online!!!

When people see my scarf, my friends announce, "Can you believe she taught herself how to knit on YouTube?"  Well, I didn't actually teach myself, but I did learn on YouTube.  Since then I have made a few other scarves for friends, different kinds of dishcloths, and even a little blanket "throw."


I have so many hobbies that I don't have time for knitting every day, but I do find it so relaxing to just zone out from the world and focus in on the stitches.

So, do you knit?  If so, how did you learn?  If you're wanting to learn to knit, YouTube has great resources and I'd highly recommend starting with a visit to Very Pink Knits.

For more details on my journey into knitting and up close looks at some of my projects, check out my video on YouTube:

1 comment:

  1. Wow that's awesome :) I am planning to learn crocheting on youtube too :) That's so nice to hear your success story.
    Roopini,
    Let's Make It Lovely

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS